Friday, December 5, 2008

Jim's Veto

Well, I cannot say I am shocked at Mayor Sottile taking his veto pen [or stamp] and refusing to endorse the budget that he was sent. It was a tough call and his honor stood his ground. Now,
there are arguments to be made on both sides. The Mayor believes going into the fund balance was wrong. It is something I agree with. But, The Democrats on the Council were able to reduce the tax increase by several points to a modest tax increase, something most people can be grateful for and for that there was not another choice but to tap the reserve. As I have said before these are tough times and under a even week economy I would have advised my alderman not to break out the bank book, But, under the circumstance when people's jobs are on the line the Democrats on the Council did the right thing.


Do the right thing one more time.

No comments: